Saturday, November 14, 2009

Glitch // Image Sources

I picked this up in Analogue Books in Edinburgh, it was like a load of artists who had kind of found 'wrong' ways to produce computer generated imagery. Some of the works were a lot more impressive 'looking' than others, but the ones that weren't seem to have more interesting contexts or techniques involved in their creation. It made me realise how little I knew about creating work on computers, so many of the techniques were well over my head, terms I'd never even heard of before - and I kind of saw myself as the biggest computer geek out of most of my friends - clearly I've got nothing on these people. Like, I can use software all I want as a means to create certain things, I can work out what does what on pretty much anything - but I've no idea what lies behind it, all the terminology, codes and numbers mean so little to me.
Of what I could understand, I tried to see what I could do for myself, I noticed that a lot of the works were things 'forced' into wrong programs, opened in incorrect formats, so I attempted this in the only way I understood it. The images below were photographs I took for Ballers Social Club in Glasgow (the originals are among the rest here), which I opened in text edit, the code was then altered (deleted, parts copied and pasted into the wrong places etc.) and then saved as a jpeg, sometimes this worked sometimes it didn't, it was a proper trial and error process. Mainly because no sane person could recognise what any of this meant...


I think these are the most successful source edits








The more I deleted the more unrecognisable the images became.
By the way I chose an electronic club night because it seemed appropriate, it wasn't just a random selection of images, one of the bands booked played on a load of broken synthesizers - go figure.
One thing I noticed was that you had to leave the majority of the top, say, quarter of the source well alone if you wanted any visible results, clearly this is an essential element of the code i guess. For example....

Wrong in a bad way??

No comments:

Post a Comment