Thursday, November 12, 2009

Screenprinting Illustrator Work Pt. II

Round two; my first CMYK printing experience was really, really frustrating at first. I assumed that process colours were just mixed in a similar manner to spot/pantone, and stupidly decided to use my initiative and began just mixing process colours, before being looked at like an idiot and told that precise measurements were needed.
This was after I'd printed out several positives from the computer at a dpi that was far too fine for CMYK. After these two mishaps, I began printing Yellow first - assuming again, like spot colours, that lightest comes first, and had to clean up and start again. Of course these all seem pretty obvious now, but I guess I couldn't of worked these out otherwise and the more annoying way I find out the more likely I am to remember these things in the future.
Anyway, the finished product came out so, so much better than the first spot-colour piece, this was owed almost entirely to the Registration Marks. Being a total nerd I actually appreciate the aesthetic of this kind of left-over working, however as helpful as these were in lining the work up perfectly, I can't imagine if any commissioned screen printing work came about that the presence of these in the finished piece would be an option. A majority of the staff in Vernon Street kept pushing me to tape them up because they would be 'unsightly'. So I guess I would have to perhaps crop them out in the future.



Colour-wise I'm really happy with the finished piece as well, having not printed CMYK before I was unsure how similar to the original on-screen piece the colours would look, but I think they look amazing despite the lack of likeness. I guess this was kind of a happy accident - but I've learnt a lot from it. Now that I know the aesthetic differences between the two as well as the practical, I feel comfortable about making judgements on the appropriate process for future work in the screen printing studio and the fact that there's a huge amount of options available for me to engage with dependent on the work I would like t produce.



No comments:

Post a Comment